The best water safety education begins at home.
Unfortunately many preventable incidents occur around the home so the following hints will help get your family comfortable with water.
- Ensure home pools are fenced with self -closing gates and child proof locks
- Maintain gates and fences annually
- Never leave anything against or leaning near pool fences that children can climb on
- A designated adult should be responsible for fully supervising children in backyard swimming pools at all times
- Children are attracted to colourful and floating objects, so clear the pool and pack away equipment after each use
- After each use, drain and securely store wading and paddling pools
- At bath time, always provide full time adult supervision
- Immediately empty the bath water when children exit
- Turn off the TV and the phone so you can hear
- Empty buckets and securely store piping and hoses
- Cover fish ponds and water features with firm mesh or grating
- Small amounts of water can be as dangerous as deep pools so check your home after rainfall and empty anything holding water
- Learn CPR and resuscitation techniques and display first aid and resuscitation signs around your home